Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Farewell, President Hinckley

Ever since my father passed away, I'm very sensitive to death. No matter what, when someone passes away, feelings of grief, happiness, and thoughts about the next life, instantly move to the forefront of my mind.

The passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley, 15th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is no different. Despite his age, it always seemed like he would live forever. His passing is bittersweet as I am deeply saddened and will truly miss him. At the same time, I'm happy for him as he is reunited forever with his precious wife, Marjorie.

He has been an inspiration to me and millions in the LDS and non-LDS community. As the President of the church throughout my entire adult life his wisdom, sense of humor, service to others, and spirituality have inspired and guided me always. Goodbye, President Hinckley, thank you, for all that you represented, taught, and shared with me and millions throughout the world.

My friend, Lindy, posted a quote by our Prophet on her blog, which I also wanted to share on ours. As she suggested, wouldn't it be wise for all of us to follow his counsel?

"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort."

No comments: