Monday, February 18, 2008

The MOST AMAZING Apple Muffins

Holy Cow!!! I found an amazing recipe for Apple Muffins in "the muffin book" and of course, switched out and altered the amounts of five of the ingredients. They are unbelievably tasty! I just finished eating three and I couldn't wait to post about them! They are perfect in every way: flavor, texture, and fluffiness.


Refrigerator Apple Muffins
You can make the batter ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days!

3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
1 tbsp baking powder
apple pie spice (apple pie spice ingredients below)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1
1/2 cups quick-cooking multi-grain cereal (Cream of Wheat)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup whole ground flaxseed meal
2 cups, thinly sliced, chopped, peeled apples
3 egg whites or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp canola oil
coarse sugar (turbinado) or granulated sugar

Apple Pie Spice

Combine:
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger

1. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Stir through the cream of wheat, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, and flaxseed meal. Add the apples; stir well.

2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the egg whites or eggs, milk, applesauce, and oil. Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened (the mixture should be lumpy).

3. Place the muffin batter in an airtight container. Cover, seal, and label with the date by which it must be used. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Gently stir the batter (it will have risen during storage). Grease muffin pan or line muffin pan with paper baking cups, then spoon into muffin cups, filling them two-thirds full. Sprinkle each muffin top with some of the coarse or granulated sugar.

5. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm, or transfer to a wire rack to cool.

5 comments:

Tori said...

The recipe sounds great...loaded with fiber and all kinds of good stuff. My only question: where does one buy flax seed meal? Do you have to buy a lot of it? Is this an ingredient that could be subbed out?
Since I don't actually bake much, I am naturally reluctant to buy ingredients that I won't use entirely.

Stormy said...

Flax seed meal can be found in the baking section at the grocery store. Bob's Red Mill brand is one of the most common manufacturers. It's generally a 1 lb bag.

I actually subbed flax seed meal for the original wheat germ the recipe called for. I did this for two reasons: the obvious, I don't stock wheat germ, and secondly, because I love that flax seed is one of the top two sources available of omega-3's. Especially right now--it's one of most important nutrients I need.

The beauty of flax seed meal is that it will keep in your fridge for a LONG time. In fact, I have used this same flax seed for over two years.

I expect it will deplete faster now that I'm using it more (i.e., the muffins, and whole wheat breads). I still have over a half pound to use up.

Good luck, man!

Tori said...

Thanks man!
I'll have to check that out and maybe whip up a tasty batch of these bad boys.

Stormy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stormy said...

p.s. I personally believe that the sifting together of the first five ingredients is key to the muffin outcome. (so don't skip that step)

I put all five ingredients in the sifter--in the mixing bowl before I ever started sifting. It made for the most even distribution of ingredients and flavor throughout each precious little muffin. :D