Here it is the BEST recipe you'll ever find for pizza dough. I adopted this recipe from allrecipes.com and added a couple of ingredients while at the same time, depending on my mood, I also change up the proportions of bread flour vs. wheat flour. There is a lot of flexibility on this one so feel free to add to it as well! (if you do, be sure to let me know how it came out--I love new ideas!)
Makes two to three hearty pizza crusts. This dough can also be used to make calzones or can be frozen for later use.
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 ½ cups of warm water (110 degrees F)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 whole wheat flour
5 1/2 cups of bread flour
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon of basil
1. In a glass or bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let sit until creamy; about 10 minutes.
Hint: An effective and quick way to help the yeast activate is to place it on the stove as the oven is preheating. It's sort of like giving the yeast a jump start. The added warmth of the stove top provides just the right boost to the activating yeast. I learned that little trick back in my 4-H days when I was about 9 years old!--good times. :D
2. Stir the olive oil, wheat flour, salt, garlic powder, basil, and 4 cups of bread flour into the yeast mixture.
3. Mix the remaining flour, ½ cup at time, stirring well after each addition.
4. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
5. Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with olive oil. Cover with damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume; about 1 hour.
6. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two to three equal pieces and form into rounds. Cover the rounds and let them rest for about ten minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
8. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into the desired shape, cover it with your favorite toppings and bake at 425 degrees (220 degrees C) for about 20 minutes or until the crust and cheese are golden brown.