Sunday, July 6, 2008

Mami Update

Sydnei and I just before going home from the hospital, Wednesday, June 25th, 2008

I can hardly believe that Sydnei will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. In one sense it seems like these last two weeks have flown by and in another sense dragged on and on and on. I attribute the latter to the major sleep deprivation, recovery, and my first case of mastitis all in the first week! Ryan has been my constant support as we've weathered and endured the first two weeks together. He gets up with me, helps to change Sydnei's diaper, rock her, console her, and has helped to make me comfortable as I recover. Thank you sweetheart, I couldn't have done this without you. Love you.

Despite the mastitis infection, Sydnei is still getting the nourishment she needs and has already surpassed her birth weight. (they don't expect babies to be back to birth weight until their 2 week birthday) She reached 6lbs, 90z, by last Tuesday--6 days ahead of schedule! Tomorrow is Sydnei's 2-week check-up appointment and I'm so excited to see how much she has grown. I know she's got to be over 7lbs!!!

I'm finally starting to "normalize" in appearance and pain. (I even put on regular jeans for the first time on Friday!!!) The recovery process your body has to go through after delivering a baby is no piece of cake--those of you who have done it can easily agree. I became very swollen after delivering Sydnei and have finally shed most of the water weight--16lbs to be exact. As of yesterday, my feet no longer look like elephant feet, my face isn't really puffy anymore, and I'm feeling more "in my element."

One of my favorite things about Sydnei so far is when I hold her about 6-8 inches from my face, smile at her, and then stick my tongue out. Within less than a minute she will stick her tongue out at me!!! It is so dang cute and precious and we just sit there sticking our tongues out at each other. I love making this simple little connection with her. It takes time for newborns to make eye contact, smile spontaneously, and interact with you...these little moments are truly cherished.

Papi Holding his Precious Sydnei

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the pictures of Proud Mami and Papi with Baby Girl Sydnei.
She is Beautiful. I Love to hold her, talk to her and watch her movements, her expressions.
Love, MaMa Thompson

Lori said...

elephant feet.... i have so much to look forward to!

;) I'm glad to hear recovery has come along smoothly. And Sydnei! Way to go on packin' on the ounces! Do we have an over-achiever on our hands? ;)